As part of the next instalment in Guests’ Corner – a local and international travel interview segment on Tamlyn Amber Wanderlust – I chatted to Sharon, South African blogger and travel writer.
South African by birth, international by travel, Sharon is a talented travel writer and blogger at the humourous, insightful travel blog, The Sharonicles.
On her blog, Sharon shares travel advice, opinions and fun anecdotes. Each reveals the playful, often funny, side to her experiences.
Sharon is well-versed in travel and has explored five continents, fifty-four countries and several seas. And now, after five years as a cruise ship crew member, she is steadily regaining her ‘land legs’.
Joining her on her adventures is her trusty pink, plastic flamingo, Rodrigo. (He is also her blog mascot… Follow his adventures here.)
Follow The Sharonicles for all the fun, humour and adventure!
1) Who or what inspired you to go into travel blogging?
I spent five years working on cruise ships. I initially started the blog to update my friends and family on my adventures.
Also, I worked as a writer before I worked on ships, so I wanted to build up something of a portfolio of travel writing… So that if I wanted to return to a writing job (I did), I would have something to show for those years (and it worked).
2) What kind of traveller are you: thrill seeker, culture vulture, adrenaline junkie, nature lover or something of everything?
I also really enjoy unusual experiences. When my plans go awry and I have a different kind of adventure to what I anticipated… Like when I went horseback riding on the beach and my horse pooped or when I was flashed in a cemetery in Cuba and got a tour from the police… then I am strangely at my happiest. I love a good story!
3) What was your most memorable travel experience in SA?
Does skydiving in Carletonville count?
4) What was your most humbling or eye-opening local travel experience and why?
I used to work for an NGO and we would travel to rural villages in Limpopo quite a lot… Every trip was a reality check.
5) Worst local travel experience (and if you are comfortable enough to, please explain why)?
Getting lost in the Joburg CBD at night… That was scary.
6) Your top three travel destinations (or road trips) in SA are?
I usually travel more internationally. When I travel in SA, I tend to stick to the cities – but I would like to see more of the bush.
At the risk of being boring, I would go with 1) Cape Town, 2) Johannesburg and then 3) anywhere that has a beach.
7) Any useful travel sites/blogs, either local or international, you can recommend for following?
Hmmm, there’s this one called Tamlyn Amber Wanderlust… (Thanks, Sharon! :))
I also love Atlas Obscura.
8) If you could travel anywhere in South Africa – or the world in general – right now, where would it be?
Probably Japan but I would also like to go to Malta.
9) Do you have any handy tips for planning a trip/day out in your city (and please state which city it is)?
Choose a good travel buddy (…says the girl who usually travels alone). Even if your trip doesn’t go so well, you will still have a good time.
10) Best travel advice for locals and tourists?
An open mind is key.
To read about and see all of Sharon’s travel stories and experiences, you can visit her amazing site. Or follow her on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
Thank you very much, Sharon, for appearing in this South African guest travel segment. Until the next one… happy writing and reading, everyone!
Author: Tamlyn Ryan
Content writer by day and blogger by night, Tamlyn Ryan passionately runs her own travel blog, called Tamlyn Amber Wanderlust, from her home base of Cape Town, South Africa. And, despite a national diploma in Journalism, in her free time, Tamlyn’s preferred niche remains travel writing.
Tamlyn is a hopeless wanderer, equipped with an endless passion for road trips, carefully planned, holiday itineraries and, above all else, an innate love for the great outdoors.